“You have the approval of yourself. That’s quite enough for we who know true inner peace! – Charmainism” ~ Charmainise Smith Ladd, Shake Hands with Yourself: A Peacemaker’s Guide to Happiness & Inner Peace
Loving yourself first is highly taught but not easily practiced. It’s something everyone struggles with. We are the first to self criticize, blame, or feel guilty. We can’t even look in the mirror without criticizing something.
It’s true that with age and enlightenment, comes wisdom of life and spirit. I’ve come through some amazing storms to be transformed in a greater way. One thing you can count on ~ you will always have storms to grow from. But you must remember, the storm will stop at some point, and the sun will come out brighter than before. You’ve come out stronger and better than you were.
One thing that must remain is love which includes self-care.
Self care is all about taking care of your inner home. It’s the center of all that flows out of you. If you aren’t at peace, but feeling anxious, angry, or stressed, then those energies will flow out of you without you consciously knowing it.
When taking care of your home, you clean, scrub, make it beautiful & comfortable. You take out all the trash and make it smell wonderful inside. Right? In self-care, you feel nourished from within.
Here are few things you can begin self-care….
1. Pampering Massage. Book time with a therapist instead of sitting on a massage chair in your local mall. Enjoy an hour-long full body massage for complete relaxation of every muscle in your body.
2. Meditate. Retreat to a peaceful place, away from the noise, crowd or clutter. It’s in the silence, breathe, and no distractions where you center yourself. This takes some practice and you might want to take a class to learn what’s works for you. I now start my day with meditation – early before anyone can distract me.
3. Learn to say No. Have you been feeling overwhelmed because you are in the habit of saying yes to all kinds of requests? Learn to say no without feeling guilty. People should understand without explanation.
4. Eat Healthy! Cook something easy – fresh and light. Chicken breast and salad. Your body will show appreciation and you will feel better for it.
5. Enjoy a warm bath. Don’t take a quick shower but take a long, hot, relaxing bath. Shut your eyes and let all the worries or aches melt away.
6. Go offline – shut off your phone, computer, internet, tablet and other devices. Reduce the mental clutter for a while. It’s okay for a bit. The world won’t collapse without you.
Those are a few ways to begin self care. You are the source of love and taking care of your inner home is extremely important.
Love and Light,